What, Me Worry?

So many of us are worry-worts. If it ever happened, or could, we worry about it. There’s no sense telling us, “Don’t worry.” That doesn’t help and it certainly won’t stop us from worrying. Worry makes us miss so much, it lessens our joy in life, and can also shorten it. Worry causes stress; needless worry causes needless stress. Needless or not, stress kills. Read what the great Earl Nightingale wrote in the 1950s:

40% of what we worry about will never happen
30% is past; all the worry in the world can’t change it
12% are needless worries about our health
10% are petty, miscellaneous worries

These add up to 92% of what worries us and ”don’t make no never-mind” to worry about! That leaves just leaves 8%—things that legitimately deserve our concern that we might do something about.

A 1990 study by the University of Cincinnati affirmed: 85% of what we worry about never actually happens. Of the 15% that does happen—almost 80% we handle effectively. Sharing what the experts know may help give worriers a more hopeful perspective, maybe even help us to worry less about things we can’t do anything about and worry more about things we can!

Add this content to your favorites:

Add to Favorites